Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Look What I Did!


Its in the unwritten manual of mommyhood.  
Section 5 Article 2: As a mom you are hereby contractually obligated to fulfill all requests, both anticipated and unanticipated, set forth  by your child's school until said child reaches the age at which he/she can responsibly fulfill such requests independently (which may be never).  These requests may come in the form of a written note home or in some cases through the vague undetailed words of the child herself/himself.  In the latter situation the child may choose to express such requests at the last minute (i.e. 8:00 pm the night before it is needed).  In such cases, that person occupying the title of mom must immediately get her ass in gear and make said request happen come hell or high water.

...and this is exactly what happened last night.  The evening was winding down.  Dinner was in the final stages of preparation and backpacks were being sorted through and organized or the next day.  I gathered a baggy of 50 googly eyes for Cami's 50th day of school.  Thats when I heard it...the sing songy voice of my 5 year old "Oh! and  mom, we are supposed to dress in 50s clothes for the 50th day of school!  You know, like a poodle skirt!"  ACK!  My mind started to race...where did she think I was going to get a poodle skirt?  Was I just supposed to whip it out of some magical Mary Poppins bag?  I quickly started thinking of alternatives but could only imagine her disappointment if her poodle skirt dreams were not realized.  So after dinner we (yep the whole family) made a mad dash for the fabric store.  I came home armed with felt, elastic and a handful of shiny this and thats.  I measured her and sent her to bed.  Then, with a Christmas tree skirt to use as a "pattern", I blew the dust off the old sewing machine and set to work.  By 10:30 we had a poodle skirt!  I rewarded myself with a bowl of Rocky Road, fed the baby and went to bed feeling like mom of the year.

1 comment:

Rebecca Goodwin said...

Can I go ahead and put in an order for one of these for Bailey for next year? By the way, where did you find the seater set?