Monday, June 23, 2008

Rock and Roll All Night!







Most of us remember the days that seem like a lifetime ago. Our summers were spent riding barefoot to the beach on a tank filled with $.99 gas. Or, for those that grew up in Houston, wearing out our season passes to Astroworld wasting away our days and nights on rides that would make me sick just looking at them today, eating expensive crappy junk food, and hauling around obnoxious stuffed animals in clothes soaked from riding Thunder River one too many times. And who could forget outdoor summer festivals?! The heat was completely irrelevant...we were young and thin with nothing between us and the sun but a strappy tank top, short shorts, and a layer of Banana Boat Deep Tanning lotion (spf whaaaat??). Ah the crowds, the smell of smoked herb wafting through the air, music on multiple stages (usually a bunch of obscure unheard of bands) and who needed food if you were old enough (or could find someone old enough) to buy beer.
Well those days are long gone my friends. Today Im opting for air conditioned venues that I dont have to put $60 worth of gas in my tank to get to and Im slathering on the highest spf known to man on the barely visible patches of skin that show just past where my capri pants end. Crowds are not my thing anymore and the only "herbs" wafting past my nose are from the dashes of Oregano in the spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove. Then theres the music...this weekend we enjoyed a private show from our very own up and coming talent. The sound was still obscure and wildly untamed, but unlike bands of days gone by these little artists were much cuter, fresh faced and unjaded, they performed their little hearts out and were in bed by 8:30. Yes these days its those quiet (and sometimes not so quiet) moments with my "up and comings" that far outshine those times gone by when I thought that life couldn't get much better...and this is just the beginning, so rock on my little monkeys!

No comments: