Monday, July 28, 2008

And Off He Goes!





Today was Aidan's first day of school! He was so excited this morning, putting on his back pack and riding to school. When we pulled in the parking lot he about jumped out of his skin giggling and clapping. He hopped out of the car and grabbed Cami's hand as he walked from the parking lot to the sidewalk. The first person he saw was Mrs. Pace standing in the carpool lane. He had seen her the night before in the ice cream section at HEB so he recognized her right away. He turned around and waved at her and said "I goin to school Pace!" then off he marched holding Cami's hand. When he walked in Miss. Jenny and Miss. Gauri were at the front desk. They said "Good morning Aidan" and he said "I go to big boy school!" and off he marched down the hall to his classroom. Then the skip in his step came to a screeching halt as he stood in front of the classroom door. Miss Linda came out and said "Good morning!"...Aidan hid behind my leg. After trying to gently coax him into the room I finally gave up and picked him up and carried him in. Once inside he seemed to calm down...seems that crossing the threshhold was a huge source of anxiety but the classroom itself he found to be quite friendly and inviting. So I put him down... and he let go. He let go and took the teachers hand and off he went to new adventures all his own. He took a seat at a table nearby and chose a puzzle. I watched as my little boy sat in his chair smiling and ready for school. Two little girls came and sat down next to him and he never looked back.
When I went to pick him up he was sitting in the line ready to walk outside to the carpool. He looked a little sad and when I asked if he was ready to go he stuck his bottom lip out and said "NO!" I was a little upset but then he said "Lunch!" The kids that were staying for a longer day were having lunch at the tables and Aidan was afraid he was missing out. I reminded him that I had lunch waiting for him in his Spider Man lunch box and that seemed to do the trick. He happily said goodbye to Miss Linda and Miss Sophia.
The teacher said that he had a great day playing with friends, playing in the sand box, doing puzzles and playing legos. She said that he was well behaved and followed directions. Aidan reports that he ate bananas, played with friends and that he "Loves Miss. Linda and Miss. Sophia." He had a great day and I feel much better knowing that he is at a school where he is happy for the three and a half hours that we are apart.

1 comment:

The TAYLOR FAMILY said...

Tears came to my eyes as I read this.. Abby starts on September 2nd and will be gone for 5 hours. He looks sooo big! Where is he in school?