Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School





Today was a big day for my baby girl (and for me). We started preparing for today last night...laid out a new outfit, packed up Cami's pink backpack with all the papers that needed to be returned from "meet the teacher" night, packed lunches and went to bed early. This morning Ian made Cami's favorite homemade chocolate chip waffles and a side of strawberries for breakfast and the day started off without a hitch! Everyone was in a good mood and Cami was so excited and ready to head off to her first day in Kindergarten. Our morning was filled with the usual hustle and bustle. I took Cami outside for the traditional first day of school photos and was a little disappointed that the humidity was causing my lens to fog...but oh well such is life here in Texas. So off we went, the whole family, to see Cami to her classroom and issue our hugs and goodbyes. We got to the school, parked and walked to the building. As we got closer, Cami said "I know where my class is! Wanna see me walk by myself?" I of course told her yes and she let go of my hand. I followed behind watching my baby girl lead the way. She knew exactly where she was going and what to do. I marveled at her confidence as she walked ahead of me with her head held high looking for the big "K" on the wall that marked the hallway where she was to turn. She occasionally looked back at me and would say "Its this way, follow me!"...and I did. When we arrived in her room her teacher greeted her with the biggest warmest smile, the kind that we remember our first teachers by, and Cami greeted her back with equal warmth and excitement. She quickly found her seat and began the desk work that the teacher had set out for the children. I took a couple more photos and knelt by her desk to give her one last hug and kiss. She hugged me back and said "I'll see you at the car rider line" (we rehearsed this procedure along with many others the night before). As I left the classroom I turned to look back one last time at my little girl sitting among all of the other children in her new classroom... sitting straight in her chair with such confidence flowing through her and I was thankful. I was thankful for all of her pre-school teachers that taught her to love school, thankful for all of her friends who have taught her to treat people with kindness and thankful that she was ours and that we would get the privilege of sharing in many moments like these with her. That was when the first tear hit my cheek. I wasn't sad that my child was going off without me, I was glad that we have done something right in raising this beautiful young lady to believe in herself and her ability to do for herself. I know now that she doesn't always need to follow me...she is capable of leading the way, but her daddy and I will always be there not far behind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a big girl!!! Love it, mama. =D